Monday, February 23, 2009

Ask and You Shall Receive

Sounds simple, huh? Why is it that I can't seem to remember that simple little verse?

It hit me like a ton of bricks at around 4:03 AM this morning, when I was trying to get my girl to go back to sleep and lie down in her crib. She still does not officially "sleep through the night" nor does she sleep in her own room. In the middle of January, I thought we had made some miraculous breakthrough when she slept ALL NIGHT LONG in her crib for TWO SOLID WEEKS. But alas, that ended abruptly when she got an ear infection, and now she's back in our bed again.

Thankfully though, on Saturday night she did stay asleep in her crib from 10pm until 6 am. That's EIGHT whole hours people, AMAZING. I felt like a different person on Sunday morning.

Back to the point of this post... I had carried her from our bed to her room and attempted to lay her down, she woke up, I started rocking. You can have some crazy conversations with yourself at 4 am. Please go to sleep, please stay asleep, please just let me sleep...then I realize: Duh, who are you talking to? Why aren't you praying that GOD help her to sleep- cause He's the only one who can.

Then comes the realization: After I laid her down on Saturday night, when I crawled into my bed, I asked God to let her sleep all night long. I didn't crawl in thinking "I hope she sleeps" but, I actively prayed and asked GOD to let her sleep. And guess what, HE did. It's funny how we forget little details like that- I had completely forgotten I had even prayed it.

Ask and you shall receive. So here I am at 4-in-the-morning, rocking my girl, hoping that she will go to sleep and stay asleep, when I realize that God had answered my prayer the night before. I remembered that I had asked him and that he had delivered, so I said "I know You can do this, I cannot, but You can. You are the only one with the power to help her sleep. Please put her into a sound enough sleep so I can get some too. Just an hour-and-a-half, that's all, just please God let her sleep for another hour and a half."

And that's exactly what He did.

As soon as I said the words in my head, I felt her body relax. Her grip on my shirt loosened and all the tension in her arms and legs was gone. I laid her in her crib and she didn't move a muscle.

I got back in the bed; it was around 4:30.

She woke up at 6:03. Can't get much closer to an hour and a half than that.

Ask and you shall receive. It's a lesson I'm learning slowly.

So, if you'd like to help a mama out, pray for my girl around 10pm tonight. Cause, I figure if my prayer was answered, God would surely answer a request made by all of us :-)


And a photo from the beginning of February...She was in between sitting and standing. Kinda looks like a poop face, but I promise it's not. I think she looks like a boy working out doing squats. Please excuse my dear aunt Sally the dead grass. Spring where are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment